Monday, August 18, 2008

We need a good war

Many thanks, Martin, for the well-wishes. I certainly am thankful for the job and even more thankful that it is part-time. That way I'll have enough time to make a little money and still enough time to look for legitimate work; furthermore, being a cashier at a big box store will certainly remind me that I need to get the hell out of Dodge as quickly as possible.

Here's a fundamental problem with our current predicament, Martin: we're too responsible for our own future. Everything is up to us, the ball is in our court. But we're not happy with that, because most of the options aren't what we want. Numbing corporate servitude is pretty much the soup du jour, unless we choose graduate school or decide to waste a few years teaching English in Asia like lots of other free-spirit liberal arts types.

We need a good war. I'm not talking the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts we have going on now. Most Americans don't have to get their hands dirty with those, as important as they are. I'm talking The Big One, against The Enemy. We need to get swept up in the tide of history, where the possibilities for being a part of something great are almost infinite and we don't have to go hunting high and low for that chance to stand out.

Okay, so I jest about wanting a war. That would actually probably suck if we didn't win or it went nuclear. But you get the idea. Something nice and big and historical. I'd settle for a revolution or even just some civil unrest. At least it'd be a nice break from our bland day-to-day existence. And maybe we could do some looting. Ever since my bank account dipped into the three digits, I'm all about looting.

No comments: