Sunday, August 24, 2008

A good thing

Sometime over the past week and a half, I had some long conversations with friends who are still undergrads. The talks were typical, mulling over common interests with lazy pleasure. It was good to know that these friends had not abandoned me since I departed the university. But somewhere in the conversation, it became clear to both of us that while our friendship is not tied to my alma mater, I was certainly graduated and he was certainly not. And in that recognition, I did find at least one light shining in our collective darkness, Pangloss. We do not have to start another year of college this week.

Summer has been a bit of a blow-off season. I've searched for jobs and scrounged for quarters, but I've also spent a lot of June, July and August "taking time off." I've been drunk. I've spent hours listening to records. I started a blog. The depression of our condition is no reason to take heart, but the fact that I am, for all my non-starting, in the real world and not tied to the academic institution forces a smile. So Pangloss, times are grim, things are rough, but we do not have to wake for a class, study for a test or ponder theoretical interpretations of the presence of uncircumcised penises in modern French film. At least, not for a grade. And we are adults. So that's a good thing.

No comments: